Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Birth day

The weekend leading up to birth day, I had been having contractions on and off, but nothing regular or time-able.  Monday morning contractions wake me up at 6:30.  They feel a little more uncomfortable than previous contractions and seem to be coming somewhat regularly.  I time them while in bed, and they are every 4 minutes.  I wasn't too convinced that they were anything to be worried about, but I couldn't sleep anymore so I decided to get up and start to get ready.  I had a doctor's appointment that day and needed to get K and I up and out of the house by 9:15.  Around 7:30 I call the emergency line for my OB's office and the midwife calls me back.  She says I should just wait until the office opens at 9:00 and make an appointment then.  By this point, I was pretty sure that labor was pretty close, so I jumped in the shower and then began getting things together.  I clue my mom in on what is happening and she sends my dad over to pick me up.  At around 8:30, the dr's office calls back to check on me and the contractions are consistantly every 4 minutes and occassionally every 3.  They want me to just head to the hospital.  I get as much as I can ready before my dad shows up.  I knew that it was getting to the point where we should hurry just in case.  I was getting ready to put K up on the potty before we were leaving, and felt baby kick down and immediately feel water start to flow out.  Checked underwear and my mucus plug is out and definitely had noticeable water all over.  I yell to my dad and he takes over with Katelyn.  I go to change my pants and call the dr.  They say to come right in and seem concerned when I tell them that I am an hour from the hospital.  Darren already knew about the contractions, but I hadn't been able to eget ahold of him since my water broke.  Finally he calls me back and I tel him to just head to the hospital.  We throw everything in the car and my dad sped the whole way to their house where my mom took over driving and K stayed with him.  My mom speeds to the hospital and gets me up to Labor and Delivery.  I was terrified the whole time that he would start coming out in the car.  I clenched my muscles in during contractions just in case.  Contractions were now more intense and lasting longer, but not really sure how close together they were anymore.  They take their time checking me in and getting me set up in a room while taking blood work.  Meanwhile I feel fine in between contractions.  Darren shows up.  Dr. Berry shows up to check me and immediately I could tell I was further along than I figured.  She said "Oh my! She's at a 7!"  Then told them we were not waiting for the labs to come back.  They rush to get the ultrasound machine just to make sure he is still breech.  That is when everything got crazy.  An anesthesiologist shows up to discuss everything (ironically I was supposed to have an appointment with this anesthesiologist at the same time that I was now talking to him).  They would like to try a spinal block before putting me under general anesthesia.  I feel good about this decision.  I did have to stop a nurse from putting the IV in during the middle of this conversation.  It was bad enough that contractions were causing me to have to stop during it.  I needed to listen to this and get all of the information.  They put in the iv and send Darren out to get his scrubs on.  Explain to him that if they couldn't do the spinal that he wouldn't be allowed in the room.  Things were going really fast and I was feeling really overwhelmed.  I started crying while they set me up to get my spinal.  The nurses were awesome and my anesthesiologist was even more amazing.  Even with me flinching during the placement, he got it in the first time!  My legs were sooo numb.  The doctor comes in and they set up to get the c-section started.  They do a pinch test without me knowing and then when they got to the left side I can feel it.  They wait a few more minutes and try again and I still feel it.  They pinch me as hard as they could and the pain was mild, so since m vitals were fine, they left it up to me whether I wanted to continue even feeling pain or get general.  I agreed to try.  Darren shows up and they let him know about half spinal and that I could still need general and he would have to leave.  Thankfully everything goes fine and the pain was not terrible.  The pulling and pressure was pretty uncomfortable though.  Darren got to see them pulling him out, and when he let out his first cry I was immediately in tears.  It wasn't until then that I remembered a baby was coming out of this whole craziness.  Everybody congratulated me and the anesthesiologist kept checking on me.  I was so well taken care of.  They brought baby boy over to me and I was able to hold him and kiss him.  I was so in love.  I don't remember having to wait around for long before we went to recovery and I was able to fully hold him and my mom came in to see him.  It was such a crazy delivery, but I wouldn't have it any other way!  Everything went so well and my recovery has been so much easier than with K.  This little boy is so special to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment